Crafty Stories

I like to tell stories through the creative arts. I may be slightly obsessed with books, movies, TV shows, yarn and fiber. Wanna hang out?

Monday, December 19, 2011

Handmade Holidays: Love Bots

Two more handmade holiday gifts finished, wahoo!!!

If you're a new reader to the blog, you may not know that I have three children: Will is 8, Jillian is 6 and Zack is 2. This year I'm making at least one handmade gift for each of them.

Will and Zack are getting ...

ROBOTS!!!!!

I sewed these lovable little bots from a sewing pattern by Rebecca Danger. (If you're a knitter you may recognize her name as the creator of all those adorable monster knitting patterns.)

In the pattern, Ms. Danger is honest about the fact that there are some spots in this project that may be tricky. She was right, but even as someone who normally only sews straight lines, I managed to figure it out twice! So I guess that's the mark of a good pattern.

There are a few wonky spots here and there, like an arm that only got 1/2 stuffed or another arm that's a different fabric than the rest of the bot. I like to think this just adds to the charm of the project, LOL.

These little bots are a really nice size, too. They're about 12-14 inches high in the torso alone. I'm too lazy to measure them right now, but here they are for size comparison with one of my husband's DVDs:

No, you can't watch South Park. Naughty robots.

Here's a closeup of their faces and chests. I used an awesome fabric for the hearts that looks like circuitry, and for the eyes I embroidered them on with felt since I didn't have safety eyes that were large enough for my liking.

Two more handmade gifts to go, plus two other custom projects for trades/customers. Back to crafting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment